2022 saw more than just an increase in fuel prices. VH-UPG replacement insured value has increased significantly so the insurance cost has gone up. A similar Super Decathlon imported from the USA would cost about $320K by the time that it was flying here. Spare parts for the airframe and engine have also increased so maintenance costs are up as well as the allowance for engine and propeller overhauls.
AsNEW: as from 9/2/23 the rate reduced to $385! From 1st January 2023 the rate for VH-UPG had been $390 per hour VDO. Fuel price has gone down again so I was able to drop the rental rate.
The rate may be changed without notice in future – check back here. Rates are reviewed annually, around January.
Instruction rates for David are unchanged at:
- Ground theory, CASA endorsement documentation: $50 per hour
- Flight Instruction in Super Decathlon VH-UPG: equivalent to $100 per hour (from engine start to engine stop) although invoiced at $50 per hour for typical training flights from Moorabbin representing “time on the job”.
- Flight instruction in other aircraft: $135 per hour (from engine start to engine stop)
- Supervision of solo flights: 3000 ft AGL and 1500 ft AGL: $50 per hour
- Supervision of solo flights – 1000 ft AGL and 500 ft AGL: $50 per hour (plus travel if applicable)
For my limited flight examiner services the rate is $75+GST however there are fixed test fees for design feature, spin and aerobatic training endorsements for flight instructors:
- single TE: $375+GST
- two TEs: $450+GST
- three TEs: $525+GST
- Rates include GST (except where noted above) and apply to Moorabbin operations only. Contact David for rates at other locations – car travel at 66 c/km will apply to other airfields in the Melbourne area.
- Fuel is normally obtained from BP on UPG’s Carnet Card. Any fuel purchased by a pilot is reimbursed at the rate per litre of UPG’s Carnet Card account.
- Per normal practice, cancellation fees may be charged if the cancellation of a booking is not advised within 24 hours of the scheduled time other than due to operational reasons (e.g. pilot in command’s – instructor if dual, decision wrt weather etc) and other uncontrollable circumstances. Cancellation fee is 50% of the expected duration.
- Interest on overdue accounts at 12% p.a. applied monthly, cumulative.